The school board approved Van Wyck Elementary as the name for the new school in the panhandle – as well as the mascot, colors and attendance line– during the board’s monthly meeting Feb. 20
“The name was the unanimous choice of the naming committee,” superintendent Jonathan Phipps said. “It’s a name that will help build community support for the school and clearly identify the part of the county the school serves.”
The board also approved attendance lines for Van Wyck Elementary. The board received the proposed attendance lines during its Jan. 16 regular monthly meeting. School district officials held question-answer sessions at Harrisburg Elementary and Indian Land Elementary to show the proposed lines to the community and get input.
• Click here to see naming committee members and the superintendent’s recommendation to the board.
• Click here to see naming committee’s rationale for the name, mascot and colors.
• Click here to see superintendent’s recommendation to the board to approve the proposed attendance lines.
• Click here to see list of major neighborhoods included in the new attendance areas.
• Click here to see map of Van Wyck Elementary attendance lines.